Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Time, Turkey and Some Running
So the holidays are in full swing now and time is becoming more precious. It has been over a month since my last post and you might wonder if I've done anything at all. I have kept up my running "fairly" consistently - at least until this past weekend.
Since Lilli's 1st birthday, I've run a trail run at Fort Harrison State Park and kept up my weekly runs. My in-laws came in from Arizona this past week (Tuesday) and spent almost a week with us for Thanksgiving. Amazingly, it was not enough time for them to see everyone, but they did spend some quality time with Lilli - something they really hadn't done much of previously. In fact, she would scream when they would come over because she didn't know who they were! This time was quite different. She really latched on to her Papa and Nana, and I think they latched on to her. They got to see just how wonderful she really is. So I suggested that a web cam would be a good idea (and a good Christmas present for them).
Thanksgiving was good. I made my best turkey to date - juicy and golden brown. I was quite proud of myself (I am typing this while finishing up the last of the turkey in fact... so sad). I didn't get out to run the Drumstick Dash this year - just too tired and too busy, but I did get out the day before and the day after for a good run.
Friday pretty much had me at home all day - no early shopping for me this year. I just didn't feel the need to get out and shop, which leaves me with even less time now to complete this daunting task... ugh... I have ideas though, just need to follow through.
Saturday we went up to Muncie to see Steph's other family members - her grandmother and aunt and uncle. It was a long day and I was very tired by the end.
Sunday the in-laws went out shopping and I relaxed a little at home, though I never got around to reading the Sunday paper, let alone get a run in. We ended up going out for dinner on Sunday so we didn't have to eat any more leftovers or cook anything and a way for Steph's parents to see the grand kids one last time. It was fun for all and then it was time to head home as they had to get up at 3am to head to the airport for an early morning flight. They got back to Arizona well before noon here.
I did get out for a run this morning - just 5 miles. There was a light dusting of snow on the roads, so I wore my trail shoes. About a mile into my run I realized that the sole inserts weren't in my shoes. I had them out when I was drying them out from my last trail run and I didn't notice it. By then end of my run, my knees noticed it though. Surprising how much cushion they provide. So I ended that run at an 8:51 average pace, which isn't bad, but still seems too slow. I am desperate to work on my speed, but may need to wait until spring. I am looking forward to getting back to the trails, so hopefully I'll have some more running to post.
Until then, Happy Running and Happy Holidays!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If you are really dying for some speed work, I can volunteer Eldon to help. We can go to the fort, put peanut butter all over your shoes and once Eldon gets a whiff of that, he will chase you at full speed. who needs a treadmill??
Post a Comment