Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Father's Grief: Moving Forward

2010 has been my worst year ever, but in some ways my best. I am looking forward to starting anew, but its not like the movie Groundhog Day where I can start all over and change what happened. 2010 happened and it has changed me. But I am moving forward -- and that's not the same as moving on. The holidays have been so bittersweet. I can't help but think of what we would be doing with Everett right now, and thinking about what we would be doing as we go from winter into spring. It saddens me (and there is still some anger over it too). In that mix is our beautiful daughter Lilli - whose eyes twinkle looking at Christmas lights, new fallen snow and colorfully wrapped presents. That look in her eyes -- youthful innocence -- warms my heart and allows me to enjoy a bit of Christmas this year. We are so lucky to have her.

I'll go into the new year inspired to run and to help plan out a race in Everett's name. I am hoping to run a couple of half marathons and at least one full marathon in 2011 as well. Of course, I have projects to do - some are holdovers from this year, but 2011 will be a year of positive changes in all aspects. I am coming out of 2010 with the philosophy of "take nothing for granted" and it's great to say those words, but to truly live by them is another.

No comments: