Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Race Report: Inaugural Geist Half Marathon
I am FINALLY getting around to my second race report in the last two weekends...
After my Dances With Dirt experience I took it easy for a couple of days - mainly to let my legs heal. Oh they were sore... anyway I got in one run mid-week and it felt just fine so I thought I would be okay for another race on the weekend. Besides, I did not have plans to PR, but just to finish without embarrassing myself too much.
I arrived an hour early to park and use the bathrooms. Then took a leisurely stroll to the finish line since it was a mile away from the parking. They offered shuttle buses, but I thought a walk/jog would be best. Of course, I could have been wrong too... on my way to the start line my ankle started aching and my hip... surely casualties from the previous weekends race. It wasn't painful enough to stop running, so I kept going and then stretched a little when I got to the start line.
It was a beautiful sunny morning, about 55 degrees with a good wind.
The line up was not organized to the point where they had pace signs up to line up with, so I just lined up in the front-middle and decided to start out easy and work into a pace that felt comfortable.
The race started on time and out I went, slowly at first (10:00/mile pace), then settled into a very comfortable 9:00/mile pace. The course was very scenic - starting on a bridge over the reservoir and then winding through some neighborhoods, crossing the reservoir a few more times and finishing up right on the reservoir. One could not have asked for a more beautiful day.
My pace remained pretty consistent mile to mile. I checked at each mile marker because they had clocks at each one which was nice. The first 6-7 miles were not bad. I had my ipod going and I was just cruising along feeling good and enjoying the run. Just past the mile 7 mark, I met up with Brooke who said she'd join me for the last 5-6 miles of the race, which was great. We hadn't run at all since November so we had a little catching up to do. So for the next 5-6 miles we talked and ran like old times.
The next thing I knew we were approaching the bridge to the finish line so I picked up the pace because I still had the energy to do it (plus I wanted to make sure I finished in under 2 hours). We get over the bridge and turn the corner to the finish, Brooke drops off to the side and I head on in to finish in 1:59:31... not bad for no specific half marathon training... though not close to a PR, but it was a great day for a run.
The rest and recovery area was well organized and we hung around for about a 1/2 hour or so talking and stretching. Then we boarded the shuttle bus back to my car (about 3 miles away... probably could have run it back, but it was already the farthest run I had done in over 6 months).
I am actually looking forward to running this race next year, but for now need to set my sights on something closer. I am now debating the 42k relay in July, but will probably still do it... I need some more races throughout the summer to keep me motivated. More on these to follow when I find some interesting races to do.
Until then, keep on running...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats! You may want to see my post on recovering from a half!
http://www.ameliaburton.com.au/2008/05/tips-for-recovering-from-half-marathon.html
Post a Comment