Monday, April 30, 2007

craziness ensues

Well, the last couple of weeks has been crazy for me. The last three weekends I have spent almost all of my time installing flooring at my parents. I am excited to report that it is now complete (minus a couple of small items that need attention) and my parents can get things back to normal at their house... I now wait for my turn for things to be "not normal" in my life... yet another teaser, but more to follow on this...

I wish I could say my running has been going well, but it has suffered a little during the week for the last two weeks. One of the factors was the rain. You might be asking yourself, "what about your treadmill, Dave?" Well - I am sorry to report it's demise a week and a half ago. I have yet to call service to have it checked and I still need to check a few things on my end first, but it is dead as a doornail. I am hoping that it is covered under the warranty (10 year motor warranty), but with my luck it is the controller card. I am bummed about this, but at the same time I was looking to sell it anyway. It's not that I never used it, on the contrary I used it almost daily, but it is taking up a bit too much room in our little house. I am looking into alternatives, but I think I am just going to try to embrace running in the rain and leave it at that...

The good news in all of this is my long runs have happened on schedule and they have been good. Last weeks 5k race was a great morale booster. I am not as slow as I thought I was... and this weekends run was an exercise in making the most of my time. Allow me to explain: Steph had to work at a health fair on Saturday morning and needed help carrying stuff in. It only lasted from 10am to 2 pm, so it gave me time to help her carry stuff in, set up and then go out for a run. As luck would have it, the health fair was being held at one of the Indy Parks, so I thought it to be a great opportunity to run in a new location. The park was not the most conducive to running, as it was rather small, but it did offer some great hills to run on. On the schedule was a 6 mile run, so as I started out I quickly learned that the loop around the park was just over a mile, so it was going to take 5 laps plus a little extra to get my mileage. I felt a little out of place running, as there was no one else out there running - mainly basketball, but I did see someone playing disc golf.

I finished up in 57:08 with an average pace of 9:27/mile. I tried to keep it consistent, which was a little tough on the hills, but it felt good and fairly easy.

Up next for me is to start some furniture refinishing and continue on some home renovation projects... lots to do. A busy summer if just around the corner...

Hope everyones run went well this past weekend. Until then, Happy Running.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad the hills didn't bother you too much with your knee. That is a marked improvement! I didn't realize there was even a park there, much less one with some good hills, but might have to try it out sometime if I am out that way. Glad you had a good weekend!