Sunday, August 05, 2007

week 7 recap

In a word - "brutal". Once again, I wasn't able to get all of my runs in, but I did get my 18 mile run completed yesterday morning - barely.

I woke up around 6am and felt tired. That was not a good sign, but I managed to get up grab a bite to eat and get ready for my run. I took my time, seeming to try to delay the inevitable. I was almost convinced that I could run on Sunday instead and to go back to bed, but I got out the door and started my run.

I decided the night before that I would try to run on as much of the marathon course as possible. I was still tired and was taking it easy on my run. It wasn't until mile 3 or 4 that I felt better. The temperature was not too bad - low 70's and the humidity didn't feel overwhelming.

I was feeling good at mile 9 and was soon approaching some hills. I sort of had a bit of a panic attack thinking about them, but I had run these hills in many of my runs, so I am not sure what that was about. I climbed them just fine and never really slowed down.

The toughest part of the run was the last three miles. It was dreadful. I was thinking about stopping and having Steph come pick me up. Then I thought I'd run to the local coffee house instead and have her meet me there so I could get an iced coffee, but if I didn't finish this run I wouldn't deserve it so then I told myself to shut up and run and finish what I started. I was feeling the mileage, but I was able to keep pushing. In fact, my pace started to pick up over the last two miles - I really wanted the run over with.

I got done and was even more tired, but also sore. My legs felt like lead. I stretched the best I could and then settled in for a nice soothing ice bath. Afterwards, I grabbed some lunch and then took an hour nap. I felt a little better. So 36 miles for the week - short of even my modified training schedule (Pfitz had it scheduled for 50 miles). I am convinced that I will not be able to follow Pfitz completely - not with my schedule. I know there are people out there who can squeeze in their runs better than I, but so far I think I am doing pretty good.

Next week is another long week. I am going to attempt 40+ miles - 20 of which are my long run. Wish me luck...

Until then Happy Running.

No comments: