Saturday, September 15, 2007

rock star-in-training?

It happened.
I had an amazing run this morning.
I feel like I have been raised to rock star status...

I give most of the credit to the incredibly cool temperature this morning... a wonderful 48 degrees when I started and about 55 when I finished. Truly an BIG help. Now if only marathon day can duplicate the weather then it will be awesome...

I started out just past 7am and ran six miles solo. I was meeting up with Jason at 8am so I wanted to make sure I had time to get some mileage in as I had 17 miles to do (14 at marathon pace). Jason had planned to run 9 miles with me so it would leave me with an easy 2 miles at the end.

Once I started, I was right on pace (mainly to try to get warmed up quickly). I soon noticed that my pace had picked up and was remaining steady (and faster) than I had expected. I was feeling good, so I thought "why not?" I finished my 6 miles up and checked my watch - 49:50 - about an 8:18/mile pace. Awesome...

I let Jason know we could run a pace between 8:30/mile and 9:00/mile. He was fine with keeping it closer to the 8:30, so off we went for 9 miles. It didn't slow down at all, and it was feeling pretty good. I did start to feel a little tired at one point, but a gel and some water and I was feeling better again. As we approached the end of the 9 miles Jason decided he was feeling too good to stop, so he finished out the last two miles.

Average overall pace: 8:29/mile right where I was supposed to be. I honestly believe that I could have run another 9 miles at that pace too. That is how good I was feeling. The running gods were smiling down on me today and I hope they do it again come marathon day...

For one day at least, I was a rock star out there!

Happy running to all!

3 comments:

yumke said...

Wow, great run! I knew you'd turn it around. Pftizinger is making you strong, but more importantly, you're putting in the hard work!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the run! This is exactly what you needed to gain momentum for the marathon. Way to go!

Arcane said...

Looks like the body has responded well. Nice job with the MP run!