My house is plotting against me.
Really.
Just when I think I am free and clear of any projects, something comes up. Installing a sliding screen to the back door? Oh, well the threshold is rotten and so is some of the surrounding trim and not sure if there is any water intrusion... Gotta paint the trim? No problem, except that some if it is rotten too and needs replaced.
Yesterday morning was a little different though. I actually got up early to go for a run. I got dressed, I quietly made my way through the house, making sure I didn't wake anyone up. Got to the door, unlocked it and I still couldn't open the door. I tried locking and unlocking it again, but the knob would not turn! I thought about just leaving it and dealing with it later, but I feared the worst - a fire could break out and everyone could get trapped because the door wouldn't open -- granted there were 2 other doors, but it could happen. So I grabbed a screwdriver and pulled the knob off the inside and pushed it out on the other. I tried pulling the latch mechanism open, but it would not budge. So I went out the front door, got into the garage, got a bigger screwdriver and then came in and pried the latch open. Now I had a door with no knob that would not latch. What to do?
I thought quickly.
It was 6:30 am.
What is open at that time of morning? Lowe's wouldn't be open for another half hour and I had to still get ready for work. Walmart is the closest store and it was open. Wasn't sure if they'd have anything, but had to try. I hopped in my car and went in and, low and behold, I found want I needed! I got back home and found Steph and Lilli awake. They had no idea what had happened - they thought I had gone to work already. I pulled the lock-set out of the box and then had to mortise int he new latch mechanism. 20 minutes later, the new knob was installed, and surprisingly it was much better than the low grade knob the builder installed in this house! Now I might replace all the exterior knobs... another project to add to the list. But before I start on that, I hope to get a run in!
No comments:
Post a Comment