After a rough week at work (and no running since Sunday) I ventured out into the sunny and slightly chilly morning for a run. It was one of those runs that started out with me somewhat hesitant to even start, but I knew I had to try. I got geared up for the 24 degree temperature and headed over to the park.
What a truly beautiful day -- the sun was nice and bright and I was feeling better about my decision to run. Once I stepped out of my truck, I felt a slight chill, but knew it would be fine once I got started.
I stretched out a little, making sure my knee was feeling okay (and it had felt great all week) and then turned on some tunes and was on my way. My eclectic group of friends Usher, DMB, Eminem, OK Go!, Garbage, Gwen Stefani, Johnny Cash and a few others kept me company and kept me motivated the entire time.
I wasn't sure what my mileage was going to be when I started out -- my first thought was just 3 miles, but I thought I had run 2.5 miles both Friday and Sunday last week, so it was time to take it up a notch. 4 miles seemed about right - a little bit further, but not too much too soon. I so wanted to do 5 or 6, but I am trying to ease into this running routine again. I got to my turn around point and stretched a little more. The knee still feeling good. I thought about going a little further, but kept myself focused and headed back.
I wasn't keeping track of my pace while I ran, it felt pretty good, probably a little faster than I intended to run, but I wasn't tiring out. Towards the end of my run, I picked it up just a little to see how it felt.
Well, it felt pretty good.
When I finished, I was tired. That was it, I was done for the day. I pushed a little bit, but not too hard and felt better for it. I think 5 is doable for next weekend now. I am even contemplating a 5 mile trail run... may not be the best move though, but I will see how I am feeling...
My splits were very surprising to me:
- Mile 1: 8:42
- Mile 2: 9:06
- Mile 3: 8:54
- Mile 4: 8:40
My average HR is still a little high, so I have to try to do better with my running, but everything seems to be coming back together. I am feeling whole again...
Happy Running to all and Happy St. Patrick's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment