Tuesday, March 27, 2007

slow and steady

I had decided it was time to get serious about my running again. Having been miserable without running I knew I had to get something started. After 5 miles on Sunday and working in the yard all day, I was a little tired and a little sore. This week is a perfect time for a step back week, but with a couple of short, easy mid-week runs in to get a routine established again.

So it began this morning. The alarm went off at 4:30 am and I was up and out the door by 5:00. It was dark and a very cool, comfortable 61 degrees. I told myself that this was a recovery run and just to take it easy. So I started out very comfortably at about a 10:30/mile pace. It felt great, I was surprised how easy it was to maintain an even pace. There were a few times I wanted to push it a little more, but I was able to keep my pace in check, telling myself I had nothing to prove, I knew I could pick up the pace if I wanted, but that was not the goal of the run. Mission accomplished. I think I am getting wiser with each run and certainly stronger.

Happy running to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are smart to keep your pace in check. Its a weird thing with runners - we are always trying to beat ourselves up - be it with times or distances!!

Bridgette said...

>So I started out very comfortably at about a 10:30/mile pace

BLAH - I would die doing a 10:30 pace. How do you get faster? I mean, how can I get faster?