Sunday, March 25, 2007

"how high's the water, mama?

5 feet high and risin'..."

A little Johnny Cash to begin this post.

I didn't get out to run on Saturday, so no 5 mile trail run for me... probably best. I slept in until 10am.

Yep. That's right.

I slept in.

After another week of about 70 hours at work, I could feel it. I just needed sleep. So, I didn't do much of anything yesterday and it was wonderful.

Today was another story. I did sleep in until 8am and didn't get moving until 9. It wasn't until 10am that I finally got around to my run. I had a 5 miler planned. I thought it seemed do-able and I felt pretty good. Plus it was sunny - no rain in sight - and about mid-60's. So I started on my usual route at the state park heading out the back to fall creek trail that I enjoy so much. Well, that ended quickly.

I got to the trail head and as I rounded a corner, I scared up some ducks that were floating in the middle of the trail, or lack thereof. Yes, Fall Creek had gone over it's banks and were covering my path, so I turned around and headed back, determined to make up my mileage in the state park. But this meant running on some hills - something I have been avoiding. I decided to take it easy and just see how it would go. It actually wasn't bad, but the hills were tiring. On top of that, my GPS somehow added 3/4 of a mile onto my distance, so I when I thought I was done at the 5 mile mark, I actually had to go an addition 3/4 of a mile to get to 5... it was tough - especially since I have not been running at all during the week. So this coming week I will be stepping back my weekend mileage and doing some easy runs during the week.

The rest of the day I was outside working in the yard - cutting back ornamental grasses, pulling weeds out of planting beds, etc. There is still lots to do, so I'll be busy for awhile it looks like...

Hope everyone's runs went great this weekend! And I hoped everyone enjoyed the beautiful weather out there!

2 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Yes, it would seem that spring is in the air. I'm excited to run in shorts this morning!!

Anonymous said...

70 hours a week - yuck. I am glad to hear the no pain report after running hills. Want to run some trails soon?