Sunday, August 19, 2007

halfway through...

I completed nine weeks of training so far and have nine more left. I capped off my week with my first marathon race pace run. I will admit, I was nervous about this run. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to maintain the pace I wanted, as previous runs I found to be difficult (though these were at half marathon pace and in high humidity). Yesterday morning was almost perfect -- a wonderfully cool 60 degrees and low humidity.

The plan was to run with Jason for the first ten miles and he was wanting to pick up the pace for his run, so we planned to start out right at marathon pace (8:30/mile), but we didn't get there on the first mile, which was probably good. We ran together for the first 7.5 miles, then I was out on my own. My pace was kind of all over the place, but within the range I had hoped to run - in fact some much faster than I thought I would be able to. In all honesty, I felt awesome! My overall average pace for all 15 miles was 8:35/mile... here are my splits:
  1. 9:11
  2. 8:44
  3. 8:38
  4. 8:48
  5. 8:19
  6. 8:39
  7. 8:02
  8. 8:13
  9. 7:47
  10. 8:02
  11. 8:13
  12. 8:22
  13. 9:39
  14. 8:53
  15. 9:15

I felt great for the entire run. I wish I had run a full half mary at this point - I think I could have PR'd. I am now contemplating running a half in September (I actually have two to choose from).

Nine more weeks to go six weeks before taper... wow, lots to do between now and then...

4 comments:

yumke said...

Glad to see the pace run go so well. And congrats on hitting the halfway mark.

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO! Those are awesome splits and the weather was perfect to simulate the weather on race day. I am happy to do a partial run with you next weekend if you want. It would be great to see Jason too! Any new news on Steph & the baby?

Arcane said...

Nice pace. A half is a good way to judge how far along you are on your training. Pfitz' plan does wonders.

Bridgette said...

Wow! Great time!