So I missed my week 6 and week 7 postings. And for good reason, of sorts. I'll explain shortly...
Week six went okay. I missed a run (or two), I really don't remember. I did get both runs in on the weekend -- 6 mile pace on Saturday and a 9 mile on Sunday.
Sunday's run was painful. I spent a good part of Saturday going to business seeking food donations for the race, as well as putting out flyers and brochures. Lilli was with me and I tended to pick her up out of the car wherever we went that day. A dozen times or so of lifting her improperly did a number on my back. I've had a few back related problems over the years which started back in college, but it's been okay for many years, so I didn't think twice about what I was doing.
Until Sunday.
I woke up pretty sore and stiff that morning. I headed out for a run anyway, and with each foot fall, my lower back felt each jolt. For 9 miles I endured the pain. Towards the end of the run my stride was shorter and my form was all out of whack.
Going into the next week I had a nightmarish schedule to try to get to things done by Friday. I already had it in my mind that I was going to have to sacrifice my runs for the week to get everything done I needed to do. With my back being sore, I thought it was a good idea anyway.
A combination of an already compromised lower back, constant up and down from desk to table at work, lack of sleep and the immense stress I was feeling to get things done, my back didn't have a chance. Each day it felt worse and worse and by Friday night I could barely walk (let alone get up from a laying position). So, some ibuprofen, and an ice pack placed directly on the lower back while I slept did seem to help. (A special thank you to my wonderful wife for making me put ice on it). It was far from perfect, and running was definitely out of the question, but I could at least walk again.
Going into this week, my back is still slightly "iffy", but I am hoping to get back to running - or some other exercise (low impact).
I think I will have to scrap my October marathon at this point, but I have a back-up for one 3 weeks later in November. By the time I get back to a running regimen, I should be able to pick up on the week where I left off (in theory). To add to my challenges, it looks like I have some traveling to do for work, plus there's Run4Everett on August 20th that will keep me busy that weekend.
We're in the final stretch for the race, and a bunch of little things to do, so we'll be busy right up to the last minute it looks like. I still can't believe it's August already... It will be October before I know it. At least it will be cooler (I hope).
No comments:
Post a Comment