Tuesday, January 02, 2007

new year, new me...

Happy New Year to all!

It is finally 2007. I am glad to see 2006 go as it wasn't the best year, but it had it's highlights. Looking back, I PR'd in quite a few races and I am looking forward to keeping the trend going in 2007. I am starting off the year slightly worn and battered, but the knee is doing better.

In fact, this morning I ran. It wasn't pretty, but it was a wonderful run. I just ran on the treadmill, starting out with a 5 minute warm-up walk. The knee tensed up a little, maybe slightly apprehensive about what I was planning on doing, so I stopped after my warm-up and stretched and did some squats to flex my knee. Once back on the 'mill, I got my pace up to 12:00/miles... it felt good, a little slow, but not bad. I kept up the pace for about 10 minuites and then stopped again to do more stretches and squats. The knee was feeling better each time I stopped and did this. I got back on and pushed just a little more - 10:00/miles... not bad. A slight twinge of pain, but almost non-existant. I pushed just a little more for 9:00/mile pace and sustained that for just a few minutes until the knee said too much, too fast, so I backed off and took it back down and finished up. I got a full 30 minutes in and felt little to no pain!

I am still going to see my doctor tomorrow about this as well as my rotor cuff that has bothered me for quite a few months. I reaggrevated it this weekend... WTF?! I treat my body with respect, and this is how it repays me?! Oh well, get everything taken care of right away and get the new year started off on the right foot (or left - whichever, I'm not picky).

I have read a few other blogs recently and see there is a growing interest in the Marine Corps Marathon for a few of you... hopefully I'll be able to join you guys out there...

3 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Great way to start off the new year!

yumke said...

Good job in bringing the knee back... and yes, MCM looks like a good 2007 race!

Arcane said...

Happy New Year! You got to be careful when you ease back into things. Take it slow. Good luck!