Sunday, September 03, 2006

just 21 miles

One could not have asked for a more perfect day weather-wise. It was a comfortably cool 60 degrees with a slight breeze. We got started at 7:30 heading out of Fort Harrison State Park to the Fall Creek Trail. To our surprise, they had part of the new section of the trail paved already, some parts were still just the crushed limestone base - but it was still very nice to run on. We took the trail all the way to the Monon, heading north to 54th street which was the half way point. There we stretched and refilled our bottles at the drinking fountain. We turned around and headed back keeping a very consistant pace still. On our way back we ended up meeting a runner from Lafayette who happened to be in town and was also training for the Chicago Marathon - it will be his first. He seemed in good spirits. We talked for a couple of miles until we had to split off onto the Fall Creek Trail. Unfortunatley did not get his name before we parted, but did wish him well as he continued on his run. It was not too long after this point I was getting tired and my legs were feeling sore. I was able to maintain the pace, but it was feeling like more effort with each mile. We got to mile 17 and took in more water and a gel. I think that helped, but would have been more helpful had I taken one a little earlier. It wasn't until a couple more miles down the road that I felt a little better. We all picked up the pace on the last mile and it actually felt good (to our legs at least). It definitely require some effort to do this, but I think it was more mental than anything. Once Brooke's truck was in sight, I picked up the pace again and took off. It felt great... Towards the end of our run we all started talking and were wondering about our training, goal pace and how things will shake out in the marathon -- a 10:00/mile pace seemed about all we could handle - "how can we run 9:00/mile pace?" Yet to have the energy at the very end of this run to pick up the pace kind of helped a little, but we still wondered if our goal was too agressive...there is still 49 days to go...so we'll see... As for splits - don't have them. My #^(%!^& Timex GPS decided to rest after the half-way point and I couldn't get it to acquire a new satellite - gotta love technology...anyway, the time and average pace were 3 hours 30 minutes almost exactly (3:29:23) so our pace was 10:00/mile...not bad. Afterwards we stretched a little, but mainly just tried to keep moving a little, or else our legs would scream in protest. Once I got home I did some more stretching had an ice-cold refreshing smoothie and then it was time for another ice bath. My legs still felt a little tired after that but not sore. This morning, they are fine. No aches or pains - in fact they feel better than they did last week. A step-back week next week with an easy 10 mile run for the long run. We are still considering doing the IU Mini-Marathon in Bloomington for the run. I think we will make up our minds this week since it hasn't sold out yet...stay tuned...

4 comments:

yumke said...

Very nice job! Remember on race day, you'll have more energy and lots of people cheering on.. so a 9 minute pace will def. be achievable..

Dave said...

Thanks. With this as only my second marathon, I haven't trained with a specific time in mind before...also I haven't experience a huge crowd cheering during the marathon - it was quite small in comparison...I'll stay focused and maintain my training with that pace in mind. We'll see what race day brings me.

Arcane said...

Good job on the 20 miler. On your goal pace, it realy depends on how you felt doing the 20 miles. Was it relatively easy? If so, 9min/mile is acheivable. If on the other hand, you really had to push yourself, then a more conservative goal is probably warranted.

Dave said...

It was relatively easy - in fact felt slow at times. The last 4 miles was more a mental thing for me, though my legs were feeling sore...just trying to wrap my head around the 9:00/mile pace - I am probably thinking too much...