jingle bell run
It was my last race of the year... the Jingle Bell Run 5k. I had high hopes of posting a quick time, and while it wasn't what I asked Santa for, it was a respectable time...
It was a very sunny, but very cold (28 degrees) morning. I got to packet pick-up with 40 minutes to spare before the race, so I took my time, did an easy jog to and from for a warm-up to find out I needed my hat! I almost NEVER wear a hat (not too shabby for a "folically challenged guy"), but this morning my ears were cold to the point they hurt. So I grabbed my hat when I got back to my truck and then headed over to the starting line with jingle bells attached to my running shoes...
The race was chip timed, but there was no starting mat, so I tried to start right at the front, but once again got behind too many people (I underestimate how fast I have gotten over the last year and a half) and I spent the first half mile weaving around people - but there was plenty of room for all runners and it was a great time. I love this race because it is kind of fun to run and hear almost nothing but the sound of jingle bells for the entire 5k! They had Christmas music playing on the track where the race started near and finished on.
I spent the enitre run thinking I was going too slow, and feeling sluggish. I tried to push as much as I could at the last mile - the slight hills felt like nothing surprisingly though. All of the races I have run on this same course (and there are a lot of 5k races that use the same course) I slowed on these inclines, but this time they were not a factor - I was keeping my stride.
I do not know how I did for each mile - I chose not to time myself, but just run by how my body felt. My overall performance was 23:51 for a 7:40/mile pace. A new PR! I was slightly disappointed that I did not place in the top three in my group, which was the "Santa weight" division instead of my normal age group, though I faired better in this race placing 5th.
So the remainder of the year is going to be focused on my mileage and trying to get over a 1,000 miles for the year... I have seen a lot of runners post much higher mileage for the year, and that is my goal for next year so I will hopefully become a stronger, faster and leaner runner...
Happy Holidays to all!
3 comments:
WOW...I would take that time in a heartbeat! Great job. :)
I AM SO JEALOUS. I was supposed to race in the Jingle Bell Run & couldn't because of work. :(
Lisa- thanks.
Bridgette- at least you stayed warm... there will always be next year...
Post a Comment