Friday, December 15, 2006

patellar tendinitis

" Patellar tendinitis is inflammation of one of the knee-joint tendons. Tendinitis occurs when tissue breakdown outpaces regrowth, and is caused by increased mileage, hills (especially downhills), and pace. Running through tendinitis will make it worse and prolong your recovery, says Davis. But treated early, it can heal in a few weeks. Here's how: cross-train, ice, wear a patella strap, take anti-inflammatories, stretch, and do exercises to strengthen the joint and quadriceps, such as leg extensions."

This is my diagnosis of what is wrong with my knee. It makes sense based on my running leading up to the point when the pain started. The knee is feeling marginally better, so I am thinking it is healing itself, but I do not see any running for me for the rest of the year... at least not until the pain is altogether gone. This will force me into stretches and cross training - both of which I have needed to focus on better anyway... I have until the beginning of January until I will need to start training for the Flying Pig Marathon, so I will determine then if I will definitely be running it or not...

I have also decided to spend some time catching up on my reading. I stopped by the library on the way home last night and picked up this:

I am hoping to distract myself from my non-running with a good book...

No comments: