Sunday, January 01, 2012

starting over

Happy 2012!

No resolutions for me. It is just time to start over for me - literally.

I last ran around Thanksgiving. The entire month of December is a blur. In all of that time, I hit a wall, far different than the wall during a marathon. I was spread too thin and the stress of the holidays was the tipping point. I had been having shoulder pain and feeling tired all the time (mainly from not sleeping due to said shoulder pain). Under "persuasion" from my wife, I scheduled an appointment with a new doctor to see what was going on.

I already new I had gained weight. The simple fact was that I was taking in more calories than burning, plus my clothes had gotten tighter and tighter over the last year. I found out I was back to where I was at the beginning of 2005 - actually maybe even heavier. I am about 30 pounds heavier than I'd like to be, and probably overweight by more than that on some charts. Since I can't grow any taller, I have to lose this weight. On top of that, I found out my blood pressure is high. Not just slightly elevated - high. I was started on a medication to help lower it. I know my weight is a factor. I know that not running regularly/at all is a factor. But, with a family history of high blood pressure, the cards were stacked against me a little. My shoulder is suspected to be rotor cuff tendinitis. I am going in for a physical therapy evaluation this week. Hopefully it is as simple as some stretches and exercises, even though they will most likely be painful. My range of motion in my left arm is severely decreased and even small stretches send shooting pain to my shoulder joint and attached muscles. Thankfully, that hadn't affected my running at all.

I am still trying to get the blood pressure back to normal. Until then, I am not allowed to pick up my running or exercise. I am trying to make better choices with meals, but it is hard. Especially around the holidays when there are so many cookies and candy around everywhere - and they are all so good!

So the plan is to get back to an exercise routine as quickly as possible. A minimum of 3-4 days a week - I'll start out slow, but will want to get to 5 days a week in a couple of months. I will focus on my meals - more balanced and definitely more healthy. It is not going to be easy, and there will be obstacles along the way. I would like to get in a good routine by the end of February because come March, we are expecting our 3rd child. I remember how it was with our first: not much sleep, quick meals (not necessarily healthy choices mind you) and no exercise for 3 months. I am hoping to avoid some of that this time around.

I am not planning any spring races at this time, but I do hope to do a half marathon in the fall, and maybe a full marathon in December, but since it has been a couple of years since I've done any races, I'll keep it simple and focus on a half first,and maybe some 15k trail runs.

And finally, to keep me honest and motivated, I'll be weighing-in on Wednesdays and posting the results. It'll be embarrassing at first, but I hope that everyone will see progress.


No comments: