Sunday, August 06, 2006

15 miles with friends

Yesterday's long run was 15 miles. My three running buddies and I were able to get our schedules coordinated and decided on the route and meeting place. Brooke, Jason, Andy and I met just outside of Fort Harrison State Park at 7am. It was a beautiful, sunny morning and a wonderfully cool 62 degrees...oh how great it felt...we walked into the park (as it didn't open to vehicle traffic until 7:30) and began our run just past the gate house, which was a mile from the back entry of the park. We chose this route partly because we hadn't run it in awhile, partly because it was fairly shaded and partly because it was part of the Indianapolis Marathon that Brooke, Jason and I ran last year -- good and bad memories, but having finished it and now training for Chicago, it was mainly good memories that served as inspiration and motivation. We kept the pace easy and as even as possible, trying to stay near the suggested pace per the training program (10:40/mile - 11:10/mile) -- we averaged around a 10:20/mile. I'd have a more definitive mile and pace breakdown, but my battery died in my GPS during the run...but from the data I do have it appeared we ran negative splits! We ran out the back of the park down Fall Creek Parkway to the Fall Creek Trail. They are extending this trail up towards the park, but it is not yet complete - can't wait, though the road is not heavily traveled, so traffic is not a huge concern. We covered eight miles before we knew it and turned around. The last 1/2 mile we picked up the pace to marathon pace to see how it felt. It felt good and was glad to see we still had the energy to do this and I suspect the cooler weather helped. We finished the run at the back of the State Park and walked the mile+ back to the cars. It was a good cool down, but we felt tired and perhaps a little achy. We stopped at a drinking fountain in the park to get more to drink and stretch. It helped. We got back to the cars and stretched a little more and discussed the run. Everyone was feeling good about it and we already have next week's run planned out (and are very excited about the route). To keep it "fair" we are rotating the routes and starting spots each week so it is convenient for everyone. Next week we are starting downtown at Andy's place. From there we pick up the Monon, go north to Broadripple, pick up the Towpath, go south to pick up the White River Trail and then take that south back downtown...a complete 17 mile loop. It should be fun. I just hope the weather is as nice as it was yesterday.

2 comments:

yumke said...

Sounds like a good run. I'm thinking of changing my long run routes every weekend so i don't get too bored of the scenery.. problem is a lot of my routes are out and backs, not the most interesting..

L*I*S*A said...

WOW...great job on a great run! Pace sounds fantastic, too. :)