Tuesday, June 26, 2007

8 miles - 10x100mstrides

First off, I tried.

I left work early to get started on my 8 mile run and then my strides. I had the course all plotted out so I could get to the track and do my strides on the way back. I got to my turn around point and stopped to get a drink...I was dripping. I was hot. My sunglasses were fogged up and wet at the same time. It was not pleasant. I pushed on trying to run in the shade as much as possible, but there seemed to be a lack of it.

By the time I made it to the track, I was overheated, felt drained and I wussed out - plain and simple. It took all I had to get home (and about a half mile short of a full 8 miles at that). Perhaps I ran too hard - I averaged a 9:34/mile pace... Anyway, I cooled down while stretching, then was able to eat. I am reviewing my schedule for the week and may cut some of my runs shorter (except for Saturday's) just to ease my mileage up. I was not at a base level I should have been to begin this training plan, but I think I can still manage it - it will just require a little more effort.

On another note, during my run I met a member of the Hoosier Mountain Bike Association. I learned that they are going to be reworking the trails in Fort Harrison State Park, making them less steep in spots and making them longer. I was glad to hear about this an am looking forward to it happening (though I doubt it happens until next year).

No comments: