My first week of training went okay. Afterall, I didn't exactly get started out exactly as Pfitz would have had me, but nevertheless it ended on a strong note. Saturday's run was a scheduled 12 miler. The weather finally did something other than be sunny, hot and humid. It was a pleasant overcast, cool and humid.
On my drive over to the Monon Trail I drove though patches of rain. Not what I had hoped for, but better than heat. The plan was to run a few miles and then meet up with my friend Jason for at least 6 miles, then finish up my run by myself. I got there around 6:45am and got right to my run. I decided I could get in 4 miles and then see if I couldn't convince Jason to run more than 6. I finished up four miles and was back at the meeting point right on time. I didn't check my pace during this part of my run, but waited until it was all over to see how I did.
Jason was a good sport and decided he'd give 7 miles a shot, but 8 would be pushing it. So we headed north for 3.5 miles up and then back. On our way back we both felt pretty good, hitting our stride and picking up the pace. Jason picked it up the last 1/4 mile and finished up, I had just 1 mile to go so I headed down for another 1/2 mile then turned around. I met up with Jason at his place for some water and to relax.
I checked on our results and was pleasantly surprised... our splits were good, in fact we got faster towards the end...
- 9:26/mile (solo)
- 9:28/mile (solo)
- 9:40/mile (solo)
- 9:40/mile (solo)
- 9:30/mile (started w/ Jason)
- 9:46/mile
- 9:37/mile
- 9:53/mile (includes a water stop)
- 9:08/mile
- 9:01/mile
- 8:59/mile (Jason's last)
- 8:36/mile (my last)
It was a good run, it felt easy, though I was a little sore when I was done, but I stretched really well when I got home and that made a big difference. So we'll see how this weeks training goes.
This week's schedule:
Monday: 8 miles w 10x100m strides
Tuesday: Cross train
Wednesday: 10 miles
Thursday: rest
Friday: 5 mile recovery
Saturday: 13 miles
2 comments:
Way to go! I bet it was fun to run w/Jason again. I saw him a few weeks ago biking on the monon & got to chat with him breifly. your schedule looks really intense for the week. Want some company on Saturdays run? i am up for anywhere. I REALLY need to do a long run before Colorado.
Good stuff on the long run... Fitting in strides and other speedwork is goin g to be a chore..
Post a Comment